Wednesday, July 3, 2013

No sense of identity

She said: "I don't like dem drums!
I don't like that sound
make it something else!"

something that's a part of her
She painted in another color.
Sold to her as just a piece of bad history
Or probably just something to admire!

That sound that's alive in her
where one can never escape
but as she denies
I hear my ancestors cry and ball from a swollen face!
"another one fall from grace!"
when she threw her crown that is rightfully hers to the ground

into the hands they were ripped from
for her freedom
but she don't like dem drums!
She don't like dem drums!

What could it have been?!
Charcoal woman thinking her skin is sin
Trying all kinda thing to feel like
"Yes! I winning! I fit in!
Trading her value for a "lighter" melanin

They selling you a fad, For all you had
Cause Ya done lost it already
Ya honor
Ya dignity
Ya pride

But the story, is not just fuh she
Let's talk about the wanna bes
the Weezies, the rockafellas, and the MMG's

The niggas that would make niggas loose their mind
The ones that lost their souls even before time
How could dis be right
The culture of a jail cell hit the lime light

I doan understand it all
We pullin everything from dem
And den we wondering, is wha happenin
De children dem culture
Suffering poliomyelitis

Public ministers calling this a crisis
But what is this really
How can your blackness make you wary
Isnt this scary?!

A color I've never seen fade
Always beaming strong
And yes I brag
It tek a real long time fuh dis black skin to sag

I find this funny
All this marvex and symba
As opportunities to make dolla
High tops and colored boxers
To mek man hip

Doan mind "is summa time"
In a seasonless country
When big truck and Kelly gon piss pun all a we

But wait!
Is why I talking trini
Cause I wanted to feel like a Guyanese
that loss they identity

No comments: